Friday, August 03, 2007

I'm a HarryPotterian

articlepic
I'm a Harry Potter Fan and fanatic. From the first book to the last, the movie likewise, I had been following it closely. To what degree you might ask me? I have each book at least 5 times each, the movies? Well, counting up to 10, for each part. Yes, I'm that crazy about it. We were quizzing each other and see who can get the trivia questions correct. My colleague and I that is. I was very taken by Harry Potter in the beginning when the first movie came out. After watching it and being wowed by the magical special effects, quirky conversations, the cute characters and the serious edge of the slow revealing plot, I was very convinced that we should be doing Harry Potter in our basic Literature classes!! :p

The Last book was the pinnacle and orgasmic ending to the whole series. I've never read a book with such fervent desire. It was full of finalities and revelations to which so many mysteries were posed to us, and so many secrets were hidden from the readers up until now. I was most sad when Dobby the house elf had to die. He sacraficed himself to save his master Harry Potter. A dagger straight though his heart. The most touching part was how Harry refused to use magic to dig up a grave but to merely use the conventional techniques of a spade. My other favorite part of the book, was the Battle of Hogwarts. The part of the Order, the Students and their families, the magical animals and the house elves all came out to fight the Death Eaters. Oh what courage, bravery and chivalry. My most favorite phrase in the book? "NOT MY DAUGHTER!! YOU BITCH!!!" was the part that Molly Weasley, whose son Fred was earlier killed by Bellatrix Lestrange, and whose daughter was nearly killed by a Killing Curse, fought Bellatrix and slayed her. It was most amazing and elated that a housewife wife and mother, whom to protect and avenge her children, can duel like a scorned witch with her wrath released on her enemies.

I still don't understand why many critics and religious bodies had said that the books got darker over time. I would say it's partly the Author's wishes to have her writing mature together with the age of its readers and also the characters in the book. On the contrary, I felt that the book hightlights and promotes many good things like courage, sensibility, team work, kinship and forgiveness. You'll have to read the book yourself if you wanna know what I am talking about. It's not that difficult to read them, it's after all, children books.

Semplice Simon

No comments: